Tony Rickson previews Sittingbourne v Walton Casuals

Written by Tony Rickson on 05th December 2016

Straight from meeting one of the form teams of Ryman South, Sittingbourne play another on Tuesday night when Walton Casuals visit Woodstock for a rearranged match.

Not that Sittingbourne aren’t in good form themselves, having lost just once in their last eight games.

Walton are unbeaten in six and climbed above Sittingbourne in the league table on Saturday, moving up to seventh with a 3-0 win over Horsham.

At the same time, Sittingbourne were holding a Lewes side who haven’t lost for nine matches to a 2-2 draw.

Sittingbourne took an early lead through hard-working midfielder Joe Loft and made it 2-0 in the second half when Jordan Gallacher scored after great work by Tom Carlse.

Lewes, the second best supported side in the division behind Guernsey and with a team packed with good players, hit back with two goals in four minutes to share the points.

Their website report stressed how organised Sittingbourne were, and that’s been a mark of the club’s recent superb run.

For 75 minutes, for all their neat build-up, Lewes had created very little against determined defending and what shots they managed were all comfortably dealt with by the excellent Simon Overland.

In front of him Jono Richardson and Danny Rumbol are a really good blend of experience and youthful energy while full-backs Carlse and Sam Welch are on top of their games at present and have been terrific both in defence and going forward.

But it’s also the collective energy, pace and commitment of all 11 players that Sittingbourne need to bring to every single game and the Walton Casuals match will certainly be no exception.

The teams met three times last season, twice in the league and once in the FA Trophy, with Walton winning all three times.

The last of those games was in March when Walton won 5-3 at home, while the league match at Sittingbourne was won 2-1 by the visitors.

That was last November and the Sittingbourne goal was scored by tall young striker Harry Smith, which turned out to be his last goal for the club.

Soon after that he moved on to Folkestone Invicta, and now he’s full-time at Millwall where he was November’s player-of-the-month and followed that up with a hat-trick in the FA Cup on Sunday. Not bad progress in just over a year!



 Back to News

Recent News