Sheppey Utd 1 Sittingbourne 1

Written by Peter Pitts on 29th July 2017

This was a hard fought game which must have been a great work out for both sides in front of 387 spectators.

An interested Guest was 92 year old Arthur "Carrots" Turner. Arthur is the oldest surviving ex Sheppey player and quite possibly the oldest surviving ex Sittingbourne player as he played for both clubs in the 1940's. 

Nick Davis will be pleased at the application of the players and the manner in which they played, the only 1 downside was the sending off of the trailist, presumably for something said.

It was strange that Sheppey had more familiar names to Sittingbourne fans in their line up  than their own players with Hicham Akhazzan, Tom Brunt, Luke Girt and Tom Loynes all turning out for Sheppey. 

Sheppey started well and a snap shot was brilliantly saved by Brickies Keeper Darren Hawkes, in fact Hawkes had an excellent assured game throughout the 90 minutes. Sittingbourne quickly settled and they took the lead on 10 minutes when Bola turned on a sixpence and cleverly turned the ball floated to him from a free kick, past the Sheppey keeper. 

The lead was nearly doubled on 37 minutes when a smart Sittingbourne header was cleared off the Sheppey goal line but 4 minutes later the ball pin balled around the Brickies area before Loynes fired into the Brickies net. Again Sittingbourne had a great chance to score but after good work the ball was blazed just wide by Kane Phillip. It was end to end stuff and right on half time a Sheppey free kick just outside the Brickies area was fired over the bar. 

Sittingbourne started the second half strongly and it was the Sheepey keepers turn to pull off a cracking save as he palmed a header onto his bar. A minute later there was another chance for Sittingbourne but the effort was cleared off the line by Tom Loynes. It was all happening in this entertaining game and on 59 minutes Hawkes made another great save from a Sheppey effort by Stuart King. . 

Sittingbourne sent on a trialist but his debut didn't last very long before he was red carded by the referee, presumably for something said. This meant that the Brickies had to last the last 19 minutes with 10 men, however they were never seriously threatened in that time and in the end a draw was probably a good reflection of the play. 

The Sittingbourne squad: Hawkes, Webber, Elliott, Lawson, Gorham, Brown, Phillips, Rowland, Bola, Akpele, Trialist, Brooks, Blake, Allen, Guthrie,

Ken Medwyn's photographs follow


 Back to News

Recent News